5th June: Diary #4

Woman_sewing_with_a_Singer_sewing_machine

Four weeks on a roll! And it’s now June which means it should be much more summery, right? I’ve been very good this week at keeping to one project only, continuing on the make of the Simplicity 1286 shorts after my toile and practice zip fly’s. We’re now onto the real thing, with those 40 […]

Simplicity 1286Four weeks on a roll! And it’s now June which means it should be much more summery, right?

I’ve been very good this week at keeping to one project only, continuing on the make of the Simplicity 1286 shorts after my toile and practice zip fly’s. We’re now onto the real thing, with those 40 individual pieces!

The beginning of this week was mainly about the pockets, as I’m always keen to get the little bits done first so I can concentrate on the overall construction without having to faff about at a later date with pockets and such.

I also did my first one-step buttonhole and the tool used blew me away! I’ve only ever done buttonholes by hand (and admittedly I’ve only ever done one buttonhole before because they seemed so daunting) but this stitch made them so easy.

Purchases this week

I’ve been much better at shopping but I did treat myself to some gorgeous, peculiar fabric that was on discount at TheTextileCentre on eBay. I’ve always been one for stand-out fabric and this Statues print was something I just couldn’t ignore. The fabric has ink faults which I’m hoping I can cover with some Dylon (or possibly just a cleverly cut pattern) but I am in love with the border print of the little statues, on black sateen. I have plans to make a full-skirted LBD out of this. Something simple on the top and then the statues border print round the skirt.

Statues print cotton

Other than that, no purchases! I have been very good 🙂

Pockets, pockets & pockets

Did I mention that these shorts have lots of pockets? There are five in total. Two hip, two cargo and one back. The hip pockets are the classic in-line type. The back pocket as per the pattern is meant to be a slitted welt pocket as the trousers are meant to be quite smart. But because I’m making shorts, I opted for a patch pocket with a little flair. I used the stripe fabric from the hip pocket lining, cut on the bias, to decorate the top of the pocket where the button sits. I’ve also chosen a metal button in the hope that it will withstand being sat on better than a plastic button.

The cargo pockets are an addition taken from the original Kwik Sew pattern to make the shorts a bit more casual. When I first told Kris I was adding cargo pockets he frowned and didn’t look very happy about it. I’ve assured him they’ll be stylish (does using the word “stylish” make me instantly un-stylish?) After he saw the finished pockets with the flaps he agreed they looked good. They are box pleated in the centre and lined with stripe cotton. The flaps are free, and don’t have any closures. I hope they make the shorts look a little less casual and a little less like school trousers!

Simplicity 1286

With all the pockets done it was on to the actual garment construction! Starting with that fly…

Finishing up Simplicity 1268

I have nearly finished Simplicity 1268! So close, yet not complete in time for the diary. I cut out this pattern on Sunday and started sewing on Monday so I am really pleased with how quickly it has flown by. My aim is to get this complete on Saturday and make it a 7-day make! Of course, a lot of practice and toiles happened beforehand but it has been 6 days from cutting by today. I have the waistband, hems and attachments of pockets left.

 

<

Francesca Haselden

Francesca is the owner of EatSleepKnitUK, she also works for Toyota Home Sewing and is a web developer 9-5!

Visit Francesca's site

Tell us what you think!

Get involved with the discussion