15th May: Diary #1

sewing

With so many projects on, it can sometimes be hard to keep track. I’ve decided to keep a small project diary so I can see the progress I’ve made each week and also look forward to what I will be completing next! I started keeping track of all my sewing plans on Pinterest and I’ve […]

With so many projects on, it can sometimes be hard to keep track. I’ve decided to keep a small project diary so I can see the progress I’ve made each week and also look forward to what I will be completing next!

I started keeping track of all my sewing plans on Pinterest and I’ve been slowly ticking off the completed items through my Spring Project Plans but I want to reflect more on the pieces of work I’m completing every week. Sometimes it’s not a full garment, just part of a few. So here’s to the start!

Well it’s the very first post in my new sewing diary! My aim to keep me on the straight and narrow of completing projects on time, properly, and not losing steam when I get bored of what I’m making.

This week has been all about menswear as I’ve been working on K4045, a pair of men’s tailored shorts. It’s my first time ever sewing proper trousers and I’ll admit it’s been a bit of a headache.

I started the week by doing some disciplined preparation and tracing the pattern out using my new heavy duty tracing paper. This is like the stuff we used to use at school, but on a roll. I bought it on Amazon for £16 and it’s just amazing. The patterns hold up so well, they’re crisp and a breeze to cut out the fabric and it’s so simple to trace just with a pen and a ruler. I thoroughly recommend it. You can buy it here.

The headaches all started when I sewed the pocket facings. I’ve never sewn hip pockets before so this was a new skill to learn! I still believe there is a small error in the pattern, causing the pattern pieces to be too short. Very frustrating but I got around it and ended up with two fab looking faced pockets, I’m really pleased with them! This is just for the toile, but if it works out well I might try my hand at dyeing it a more attractive shade as a back-up pair. The actual pair will be made out of a dark chambray.

Well, things only got worse for this pattern this week as I discovered yet another error with the inside leg seams, one that I could not correct. I tried for a long time to make it work. I went to bed and hoped it would make sense in the morning (as it often does) but it still didn’t. And when I’d finished fudging the seam together I realised that I couldn’t make it work this time. I’m still very angry about it, it’s just not something I expect from a fairly expensive pattern, owned by the largest pattern producer in the world!

Well, I stomped to my local sewing shop and picked up two alternatives. A Burda pattern which is a few inches on the small side, and a Simplicity pattern which seems like it’s going to be good. So, sadly, this Kwik Sew pattern is getting stuffed back into the drawer, never to be used again (hopefully!). I’ll steal the patch-pocket designs off this pattern but I’ll be going forward with Simplicity 1286. Wish me luck!

Simplicity 1286

<

Francesca Haselden

Francesca is the owner of EatSleepKnitUK, she also works for Toyota Home Sewing and is a web developer 9-5!

Visit Francesca's site

Tell us what you think!

Get involved with the discussion